This post first appeared at Fellowship of the Minds
In past years, the federal government’s Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has published on “transgender people” being “at higher risk” for HIV — especially “transgender women”, i.e., men who identify as women, and black “transgenders”. CDC defines “transgender people” as “people whose gender identity or expression is different from their sex assigned at birth” and “gender identity” as a “person’s internal understanding of their own gender.”
According to the latest CDC publication, an April 2019 fact-sheet on “HIV and Transgender People“:
- As many as 14% of U.S. “transgender women” have HIV.
- A vast majority of the 2,351 transgender people in the U.S. diagnosed with HIV in the years 2009-2014 were “transgender women”:
- 84% (N=1,974) of transgenders with HIV are “transgender women”, i.e., biological males.
- 15.35% (N=361) of transgenders with HIV are “transgender men”, i.e., biological females.
- As many as 44% of black “transgender women” have HIV, the highest percentage among all “transgender women”.
- Blacks also make up a majority of “transgenders” with HIV:
- 58% of “transgender men” with HIV.
- 51% of “transgender women” with HIV.
A recent study by a team of four CDC scientists reinforces and confirms the CDC fact sheet.
The scientists published their findings in “Estimating the Prevalence of HIV and Sexual Behaviors Among the US Transgender Population: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis, 2006-2017,” American Journal of Public Health, Nov. 29, 2018. Below is the Abstract of the article:
Transgender women (transwomen) in the United States have been shown to have high HIV risk with Black and Hispanic transwomen being particularly vulnerable. Growing research on transgender men (transmen) also shows increased HIV risk and burden, although not as much is known for this transgender population. […]
Your Daily Briefing:
Fight Online Censorship!
Get the news Google and Facebook don't want you to see: Sign up for DC Dirty Laundry's daily briefing and do your own thinking!