This post was originally published at The Lid.
Even in the Democratic Party people are beginning to wonder if Joe Biden is too old to run for president. The answer is no he is not too old. The real question about the former Vice President should be whether or not he is suffering from dementia. Some of Joe Biden’s recent statements seem to suggest the beginnings of a dementia-caused decline in memory and other thinking skills.
Look at his recent Hyde Amendment kerfuffle. For forty years, Biden supported the Hyde amendment then flip-flopped. All politicians flip-flop, and it is not an indication of brain problems. What makes Biden’s flip-flop concerning is that he reaffirmed his four-decade-long stance on a Tuesday and did the 180 on Thursday,
This week he made another strangely timed switch. In his second major policy flip-flop in a week, Joe Biden said, “We need to get tough with China. China poses a serious challenge to us, and in some areas a real threat.” That statement reversed a policy he’s had for two decades. And just like the Hyde Amendment, he had just publicly reaffirmed that old soft on China stance.
Perhaps the most significant indication that the former VP was having memory problems was what he said at a June 12th campaign stop:
Joe Biden: "Know what I was most proud of? For eight years, there wasn't one single hint of a scandal or a lie." pic.twitter.com/Yb8Mm8DdIC
— The Hill (@thehill) June 12, 2019
Not even the hint of a scandal or lie? While I once published a list of 1063 Obama scandals and lies, without looking at that list, off the top of my head I came up with a list of 25 Obama scandal/lies:
Sorry. No data so far.
- Allowing the FBI to begin a fake counter-intelligence investigation of Donald Trump based on false information paid for by the Hillary Clinton campaign gathered from Russia by a former British Agent.
- Going to war in Libya without first seeking congressional approval.
- Bypassing Congress to issue an illegal executive order granting amnesty to illegal aliens.
- Fast and Furious: Selling guns to Mexican drug cartels in an attempt to take away guns from law-abiding Americans then lied and said the program was started by President Bush #43
- Obama won Politifact’s “Lie of the Year” in 2013 for telling the public that “if you like your health care plan, you can keep it.”
- Obama’s betrayal of the primary GM investors so he could give the company to his buddies in the UAW.
- Offering Joe Sestak a White House job to drop out of the Senate race against Arlen Specter
- The IRS targeting of conservative, tea party, and pro-Israel groups
- Obama lied about putting health care negotiations on C-SPAN
- Offering Andrew Romanoff a White House job to drop out of the Senate Race against Michael Bennett.
- Dropping an already already-won case against the New Black Panthers.
- Ignoring a court order to ease up on restrictions against deepwater drilling in the Gulf of Mexico and, instead, issuing more stringent restrictions.
- Circumventing the Senate by setting up a “shadow cabinet” of Czars.
- Firing (and slandering) AmeriCorps inspector general Gerald Walpinbecause Walpin was investigating Obama’s buddy Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson.
- Practicing crony capitalism and wasting taxpayer money with Green energy loans to Solyndra and other failing companies.
- A No-bid contract given to a company owned by a major Obama donor for a smallpox vaccine that doesn’t work.
- Lying to America and the world by claiming a YouTube video caused the Benghazi attack.
- Receiving foreign donations for his 2012 campaign.
- Slashing the pensions of Delphi’s non-union employees but leaving the UAW employees‘ pensions alone.
- Purchasing bullets to drive up costs/empty supply.
- Prosecuting Thomas Drake, an NSA whistle-blower who leaked unclassified information about government waste and fraud.
- Trading five Taliban “generals” for a deserter Bowe Bergdahl without giving Congress the 30 days notice required by law.
- Ignoring ISIS in 2012, because it didn’t fit his reelection theme
- Had armed SWAT agents raid a law-abiding guitar factory because it was owned by a Republican
- Using the NSA to spy on congressional discussions with Israeli PM Netanyahu.
If I can come up with the list above off the top of my head (and then looked up the links), how can Joe Biden, who as VP was involved in them, not remember even one!
I will admit that even if Joe Biden was healthy, I could not bring myself to vote for him not only because I disagree with his politics but also because he would be running against President Trump who IMHO has done a great job in his first term so far.
The fact that he has memory lapses should be an extra concern for members of the Democratic Party because as the pressure is building his forgetfulness is getting worse. It’s no wonder his staff is trying to keep him away from the press. This isn’t a matter of politics, but as someone who has seen too many family members suffer from dementia, watching them desperately fight to remember the names of their children and grandchildren, I would strongly recommend one of Biden’s loved ones insist he gets examined.
This post was originally published at The Lid.
Your Daily Briefing:
Fight Online Censorship!
Get the news Google and Facebook don't want you to see: Sign up for DC Dirty Laundry's daily briefing and do your own thinking!