This post first appeared at Fellowship of the Minds
The Party of Death is at it again.
It’s bad enough that U.S. taxpayers are forced to pay for abortion via the federal government’s funding of Planned Parenthood, a new bill introduced by Demonrats will force taxpayers to fund any and all abortions in America.
Under the guise of a benevolent concern to provide government health care for all Americans, the Medicare For All Act of 2019 isn’t just socialism. The bill funds the killing of unborn Americans — all at taxpayers’ expense.
Currently, federal law prohibits Medicare money from paying for abortion services via the Hyde Amendment, but some states have programs that fund abortions by “low-income” women. Some private insurance policies also cover, or partially cover, abortion services. The Medicare for All Act of 2019 would fund abortion by repealing the Hyde Amendment.
On February 28, 2019, Reps. Pramila Jayapal (D-WA) and Debbie Dingell (D-MI) introduced the Medicare for All Act of 2019. The bill is co-sponsored by more than 100 House Democrats.
The Medicare for All Act of 2019 promises a utopia of lollipops and raindrops:
- It’s free!: “Enrollment in Medicare for All would not require any private insurance premiums or deductibles. Upon receiving care, patients would not be charged any co-pays or other out-of-pocket costs.”
- It covers everything!: “Provides comprehensive health care coverage including all primary care, hospital and outpatient services, dental, vision, audiology, women’s reproductive health services, maternity and newborn care, long-term services and supports, prescription drugs, mental health and substance abuse treatment, laboratory and diagnostic services, ambulatory services, and more.”
- You can choose your doctor!: “Patients will have complete freedom to choose the doctors, hospitals, and other providers they wish to see, without worrying about whether a provider is ‘in-network’.”
- It’ll save money!: “Simplify the healthcare system by moving to a single-payer model,” thereby reducing “the hundreds of billions of dollars wasted on the administration of the current inefficient multi-payer system, allowing providers to focus on patientcare instead.”
- Lower-price meds!: “Substantially lower the costs of prescription drugs” by allowing Medicare to negotiate drug prices, “as other countries do.”
- We’ll stick it to those greedy bastards!: “Prevent healthcare corporations from overcharging for the costs of their services and profiting off illness and injury. The legislation prevents providers from using payments from the program for profit, union-busting,marketing, or federal campaign contributions.”
Reporting for Catholic News Agency, Christine Rousselle warns that the Medicare for All Act “also aims to introduce universal ‘comprehensive reproductive health’ coverage for women, including abortions. It is unclear what the scope of abortion provisions would be, or if doctors would be able to refuse to participate in abortions if they are morally opposed to the procedure.”
President and CEO Ilyse Hogue of the pro-abort NARAL Pro-Choice America enthused in a statement: “Representative Jayapal has been an unwavering champion for women and reproductive freedom [abortion] and we applaud her leadership today. Rep. Jayapal’s Medicare for All proposal recognizes the simple truth that women will never be equal members in society until we have full access to reproductive healthcare. Put simply, a right is not a right if you cannot access it.”