A new report has said that two groups of Central American migrants marched to the United States Consulate in Tijuana on Tuesday with a list of demands. One group delivered an ultimatum to the Trump administration: either let them in the U.S. or pay them $50,000 each to go home, the report said.
According to Fox News, the first group of caravan members, that included about 100 migrants, arrived at the consulate around 11 a.m. Alfonso Guerreo Ulloa, an organizer from Honduras, said the $50,000 figure was chosen by the migrants as a group. “It may seem like a lot of money to you,” Ulloa told the San Diego Union-Tribune. “But it is a small sum compared to everything the United States has stolen from Honduras.” Among other demands were that deportations be halted and that asylum seekers be processed faster and in greater numbers, the newspaper further reported.
A letter from the group criticized U.S. intervention in Central America and asked the U.S. government to remove Honduran President Orlando Hernandez from office. So basically, the migrants are complaining about U.S. intervention while demanding the U.S. intervene and remove their president from power. Fascinating.
They gave the consulate 72 hours to respond to their outrageous and hypocritical demands. A letter from the second group of about 50 migrants arrived at the consulate around 1:20 p.m. asking the U.S. to speed up the asylum process and to admit up to 300 asylum seekers each day at the San Ysidro Port of Entry in San Diego. Currently, around 40 to 100 are being admitted.
“In the meantime, families, women, and children who have fled our countries continue to suffer and the civil society of Tijuana continue to be forced to confront this humanitarian crisis, a refugee crisis caused in great part by decades of U.S. intervention in Central America,” the letter states.
According to Fox News, approximately 700 of the original 6,000 migrants have decided to return to their homes rather than wait at the U.S. – Mexico border. “A lot of people are leaving because there is no solution here,” said Douglas Matute, 38, of Tijuana. “We thought they would let us in. But Trump sent the military instead of social workers.”
About 300 migrants have already been deported and 2,500 have applied for humanitarian visas in Mexico, according to Xochtil Castillo, a caravan member who met with Mexican officials Tuesday. Others have simply “fallen through the cracks.”
Sorry. No data so far.
Courtesy of SHTFplan.com
Your Daily Briefing:
Fight Online Censorship!
Get the news Google and Facebook don't want you to see: Sign up for DC Dirty Laundry's daily briefing and do your own thinking!